Saturday 10 September 2011

A Whale of a Tale

source BBC
After this weeks Minke Whale stranding in the Humber River at Immingham Docks I realized just how much I miss my animal rescue work.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing right now.  I am glad I have moved to the UK with my husband and enjoy the new experiences and challenges life brings me.  I have however, been motivated to get involved with similar work here in the UK.

Source BDMLR

The organization that coordinates stranding response in the United Kingdom is 'British Divers Marine Life Rescue'.  This charity has been working since 1988 in response of stranded pinnipeds, dolphins, and whales.  They have equipment and volunteer responders around the country to maintain and educate.  I am extremely excited to get involved with them!

(c) ASRE, my start in rehab
Coincidentally, one of the facilities I worked with in FL is about to hit the big screen!  Nearly 20 years ago, I did an internship at the Clearwater Marine Science Center in the Animal Care department.  Two years later I moved to Florida to volunteer and continue to get experience in marine animal care and rehabilitation.  Soon afterwards the Marine Animal Stranding Response Team was developed which became the standard for communities around the globe for volunteer response teams. 

my first marine mammal stranding
Over the next 10 years or so, the Clearwater Marine Science Center went through many changes.  North American River Otters became a common rescue, we became recognized for our achievements both in and out of accredited circles, and even changed the name to Clearwater Marine Aquarium.  Staff changes were also plentiful as it is difficult to keep a non profit business running with all the staff needed and getting the right staff and board of directors is even more difficult.  Some good changes, some not so good changes, all water under the bridge now.

Blondie, eventually released!
About 6 years ago one of the biggest events in the Aquarium's history would occur, not known  to anyone at that time.  A rescue was made on a young dolphin tangled in a crab trap line.  Numerous facilities turned down this baby as she had very little chance of survival.  In America, we will rehab an animal even if it can not be released, but will recommend euthanasia if it does not seem to have at least a chance.  Dr. Cianciolo, the veterinarian for CMA at the time, would not give up on the infant though. 

The little dolphin was named Winter as it was the season in which she stranded.  She lost her tail, but not her will to live.  She has advanced prosthetic technology which in turn helps humans especially our wounded war veterans.  She has also helped numerous children accept their own differences.  On September 23 in the States (October 14 in the UK), she will be seen on the silver screen, in 3D no less!  

cuddle time (zinc on back as sunscreen)

my last intensively involved stranding

wanting to help me clean!
The film 'Dolphin Tale' is a fictional account of her story in which she does most of her own stunts.  She was the last dolphin I interacted with before making some moves of my own.  Each time I see a movie trailer my heart swells and my eyes well.  I am more motivated than ever to get back into my work and look forward to the opportunity to be involved with some amazing people and animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment