Saturday 9 October 2010

Purple Pasta

One of my important job as a stay at home wife to be in a foreign country is to find a healthy meal for us. This night is purple pasta. It is actually "drunken pasta" by Rachael Ray. The pasta was cooked in red wine. To add to the purple color, grated beets, sauteed with garlic and onions. A healthy serving of Parmesan cheese grated on top made this a great dinner. My other half was a bit nervous eating beet root and purple pasta, but he was pleasantly surprised. He even had a second helping! That is the true indication of a meal well done!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. We have beets growing in the garden and they are really healthy to eat, but I'm not wild about them taste wise. And I've always thought pasta was a boring colour anyhow.

    From the places you talk about having visited, I'm wondering if you live anywhere near Newcastle-upon-Tyne? I live near there, but at the coast. I'm originally from Oklahoma and I've been here nearly 16 years now. I think it's a hoot reading some of your early posts - we all go through the same transition, apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley,

    The pasta was really good, I am looking forward to making it again when I get home. Fresh beets from the garden would be fabulous, have to see if my father in law is growing any on his allotment.

    We are not quite as far north as Newcastle-upon-Tyne, although my husband has friends up there and has worked up that direction in the past. We are much closer to York only about 15 miles outside of the city.

    Glad to hear I am not the only one who has gone through some growing pains as I have transitioned to life in the UK. Now that I have been in the States for over a month and know I have over 2 weeks left til my return, I can not wait to go "Home"...

    ReplyDelete