Saturday 8 May 2010

Lunch in Edinburgh

The whole trip, I heard about haggis.... He passed several restaurants to make sure haggis was on the menu. For those of you who do not know what haggis is, I found an excellent recipe on BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/haggis_66072.shtml It is the parts of a lamb that don't sell very well, the heart, lungs, and liver. Boil and put these through a meat grinder with some fat and a little meat and then put it all inside the stomach of this lamb and boil it again in the stock from the parts... I guess you have to give it to them for using as much of that little lamb as possible. Again the environmental side of me thinks this is a good idea... the rest of me.... not so excited. I did taste it, and in all honesty, it was not as bad as I expected. I can not say that I will be using the recipe from above any time soon though lol. Well, he had his haggis with neeps ( mashed swede or turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) and his plate was enormous. Needless to say it was enough to feed an army. Normally portion sizes in the UK seem very reasonable to the US, rarely do you get left overs and not often are doggy bags considered. Many places do not even have a container to put the food in if you do not finish. My serving of sea bass and mashed potatoes was much more sensible, and I did not finish my "tatties" It was 3 o'clock or so by now and we were both very full, but we each had a dessert and it was all very good. We headed back to the car to check into the hotel so we could get ready for the evening. We had recommendations for a comedy club and it looked like a good evening out, but we needed to be there for 7:30 and we were walking once we got the car parked at the hotel. We had just enough time to talk to the families once we got checked in before we headed off to the club. The comedians were great, a little off color but very good. In all we had a great time even if I didn't get fed dinner (because someone ate a huge lunch and didn't think we needed to order food early!)

No comments:

Post a Comment